The beach is the perfect place to reinforce great family
connections. I am so happy that we decided to make this trip to Mexico with
Matt’s family. There are so many of us here and it’s so enriching to be able to
visit with family many of whom I haven’t seen in quite a while. We nearly didn't
make the trip after receiving sad news the day before we left.
My grandmother, Kathy Pippin (my father’s mother), passed
away on Thursday morning. I am very sad that she is no longer here with us. She
has not been herself, however, for some time now. Her physical body and mind
have not been kind in these last few years. I cannot help but feel tremendous
peace in my heart for her release from pain and confusion but even more for her
reunion with my grandpa. They have loved each other for a very long time and are
NOT meant to be apart. I often think of a decorative ceramic piece that
they had in their home. On it were the words: If I had to choose again, I’d
still choose you. My grandparents are very much on my mind at this time. I miss
them both. They are converts to the
church and that is truly the greatest blessing they have given me. The number
of lives they have touched are innumerable! The gospel and the ability to be an
eternal family has changed my life forever. I am grateful to them for so many
things but this is by far the greatest of them all.
One of my greatest memories with my grandparents was a trip
we took to the beach in California. I was about 13 or 14 years old and my
grandparents were taking a trip to Southern California to visit some of my
grandpa’s family. His sister, Shirley, had come from Mississippi to take the
trip with them. They invited me to come along because they knew how much I love
the ocean; they also thought I could help entertain Shirley’s 10 year old
daughter Megan. I felt so special having been invited on this trip with them.
I've had a love for the ocean all my life but this trip was one of my first
really memorable ocean experiences. I had an amazing time swimming in the waves
with Megan.
I remember vividly that it was also the first time I
experienced my grandparents outside of their roles as my grandma and grandpa.
Every evening they would gather around the kitchen table and talk for hours. I
saw a side of them I had never seen before as they laughed and had a grand time
with my grandpa’s siblings. About a year and ½ ago Aunt Shirley came for my
grandpa’s funeral. She shared with me that Megan still talks about that trip we
took to California and what a great time she had. I haven’t seen her since that
trip but what a great memory it is for both of us. A trip (beach or otherwise)
can be an amazing bonding experience for family.
I’m so grateful for my McRae family and the time we are able
to spend here making memories and strengthening relationships. I know this is
exactly where my grandparents would want me to be. Matt’s siblings have done a
lot to make this trip possible for us. I love my family so very much and
appreciate every minute I am able to be with them!
What a great trip for everyone who went and I was especially glad to have you and Matt there. You are a trooper! Love you tons! :)
ReplyDelete