Thursday, July 24, 2014

Utah

Last week was my first week back to work. Students don't come for another couple of weeks but I had meetings to attend all week. When not in a meeting I'm trying to get my classroom and materials prepared for the year. My first day back was very difficult. It required me to spend a lot more time in my prosthesis than I have been able to manage up to this point. The second day was even worse. Just making one trip down the hall to the copy machine and back almost killed me. Wednesday my leg was so sore and bruised from all the activity and extra time in my prosthesis that I couldn't even get my prosthesis on. I stayed home and let it rest. By this time I am having some very serious doubts about my ability to return to work. Two days back and I was already forced to take a day off and rest my leg. Thursday and Friday I squeezed my very sore and bruised leg back into my prosthesis but each evening ended in tears, pain and exhaustion. I truly hate leaving the house without my prosthesis on but had to attend a wedding Saturday morning without it. My leg was much too sore to try and wear it again.
I don't want to diminish the progress I've made. I've worked really hard and I'm doing great! It's clear, however, that I am not ready to go back to work. Matthew and I have been having this discussion since my surgery. Each amputee is different in the recovery process. It's been very difficult to predict if I would be able to return to work or not. I wanted to teach again this year so badly. I love teaching Latin and I love my students. It broke my heart when I realized that teaching is out of my reach this school year. My administration has been wonderful. They were not surprised when I told them I wouldn't be returning. Everyone could see how painful and exhausting it was for me to be at work. I am so relieved to have the extra time to heal and to build up my strength and health!
Now that we have lost my income we've had to adjust our plans. This last year has brought so many unexpected things. We are both excited and sad to announce that we will be relocating to Utah in October. I can't wait to see what unexpected things are around the corner for us!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Trisha. I am sure going back to work was very difficult. I can't even imagine. I know you really wanted to return, but making yourself whole is most important. I, of course am happy and sad with your upcoming move, BUT I know it is the right thing to do. I know it will be wonderful to be near your family. We will miss you and Matt, but glad Utah is not far away! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete